1. I'll be presenting later this month at the Dialog conference in Sweden on the difference between content strategy and content marketing—and how you can successfully combine their forces. If you happen to be in that part of the world, come check it out.
EP @ TT /
Had the amazing opportunity to record an EP in the beautiful Tiny Telephone studio in Oakland this week.
Mixing's scheduled for July. Stay tuned!
Over the course of 2016, I wrote down the things I got really into.
I know I kinda missed the boat on this timing-wise, but I've been meaning to share it, so here goes (in no particular order):
- 10th of December / George Saunders
- Revolutionary Road / Richard Yates
- Patience / Dan Clowes
- Megahex / Simon Hanselmann
- All Who Go Do Not Return / Shulem Dean
- Wise Blood / Flannery O’Connor
- The Last Bad Man / Miranda July
- I Love Dick / Chris Kraus
- So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed / Jon Ronson
- On Beauty / Zadie Smith
- M Train / Patti Smith
- Prism / Various (queer comics anthology)
- The Big Short (was shaking at the end)
TV / Series
- Transparent (best show of the last 2 years); related: the music of Dustin O’Halloran
- The Americans
- BoJack Horseman
- Broad City
- Stranger Things
- The Night Of
- Horace and Pete
- High Maintenance
- The Fall
- Silicon Valley
- Orphan Black (so dumb, so good)
- Making A Murderer
- Top Chef
Art, Theater & Other Stuff
- The new Cooper Hewitt
- The new(ish) Whitney
- Brooklyn Botanical Garden
- Pipilotti Rist at The New Museum
- Mike Perry at Garis & Hahn
- Nan Goldin at MOMA
- Richard Serra & Agnes Martin at SF MOMA
- Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann’s
- Tilda All Day in Clinton Hill (RIP)
- Chris Gethard’s Career Suicide
- Big Gay Ice Cream, forever
- Eleanor Friedberger / New View
- Biggie / Ready to Die (but also all the old 90s shit)
- Sufjan Stevens / Carrie + Lowell
- Fred Thomas / All Are Saved
- Father John Misty / Fear Fun (guilty pleasure)
- Vince Staples / Summertime ‘06 & Prima Donna
- Protomartyr / The Agent Intellect
- Deerhunter / Fading Frontier
- Thao & The Get Down Stay Down / A Man Alive
- Run the Jewels / RTJ2
- Kate Tempest / Everybody Down
- The Raincoats / Self-titled
- Big Thief / Masterpiece
- Day of the Dead / Various (Grateful Dead Tribute Album)
- Charlie Hilton / Palana
- Rihanna / Anti
- Hamilton Soundtrack / Various
- Childbirth / Women’s Rights
- Lower Dens / Escape From Evil
- LVL Up / Hoodwinked
- Courtship Ritual / Pith
- Don Mega & Young M.A. / Dope Gurl
- Milk Dick / Romantic Superstore
- Frankie Cosmos / Next Thing
- Nina Sings The Blues / Nina Simone
- Reply All (the best!)
- 2 Dope Queens
- Love + Radio
- More Perfect
- Beautiful / Anonymous (attended a live taping too!)
- Song Exploder
- There Goes The Neighborhood
- Startup (amazing coverage of American Apparel / Dov Charney)
- Election Profit Makers (the podcast that kept me semi-sane in October)
- You Must Remember This / 12 Part Series on Charles Manson
- Bad With Money
- 99% Invisible
- The Intern
- Serial / Season 2 (not as good as Season 1 but probably still better than 90% of podcasts out there)
- Neko Atsume, Cat Collector (played it obsessively until deleting it from my phone entirely)
- Trello (SAVED MY LIFE THIS YEAR)
- 7 Minute Workout
- NYT Now (RIP)
- Paper (RIP)
Excited to have the opportunity to speak at two awesome digital / UX conferences this month. Here's the info:
At the Digital Strategy Innovation Summit in LA, I'll be giving a talk about Content Strategy's power to humanize digital experiences.
If you're an LA- or Philly-based designer or strategist, would love to see you there!
Someone described the sound as "dirty rock" and I think let's just go with that.
Hear our first (and currently only) song >
Enter Emojiscope, the
Get your reading today >
Shotz SF /
A Ridiculous Short Play About a Fire Alarm Set in A Janitor’s Closet Featuring Three Strong Female Leads was performed at The Tides Theater in SF as part of Shotz: Featuring a Strong Female Lead.
Read the very ridiculous play >
Hilariously, the content and update patterns of these emails began to seem familiar. They echoed a well-known mobile photo-sharing social network. There were sunsets. There was wildlife. There were tall buildings. Updates spiked when dad was traveling. The resemblance was uncanny.
So, my sister and I took to calling this Dad-Blackberry-Email-Photo-Feed-1.0 Dadstagram. Then, we realized we could actually make Dadstagram an Internet reality. So we decided to do so.
Go see all the Dadstagrams >
I again had the distinct pleasure of contributing to One Week // One Band's annual end-of-the-year theme bash. This year's: Stop Making Sense.
I wrote about love, language, Stan Getz, Joao Gilberto, Ella, Brazillian bossa nova and good ol' American jazz.
Read the story >
Cowbird is an amazing storytelling site and one of the only sites that I think manages to put the community back into social media, likely because its organized around meaningful content, not just brief status updates and accumulating friends.
They are currently featuring stories about marriage equality (awesome), which is how mine came to be featured. Reading back over it, it's crazy that after just two years, the sentiment I expressed feels totally dated. People don't really ask me too many awkward questions anymore...although they continue to be very interested in how we will have children. It's hard for me to blame them for that, though. I am also interested in how we will have children.
In retrospect, I hope I wasn't too harsh in my writing. It was how I felt at the time. But since then, so many amazing things have happened. DOMA has been struck down. Equality continues to move forward. And, for the most part, people simply say a heartfelt, "congratulations!"
Read the story >
I was hearing a lot on the news about what the shutdown would mean for us–the closing of the national parks, federal furloughs, etc. What I wasn't hearing though was how the whole thing had gone down and who we could hold accountable come next election day.
So, I did some investigating and found out. This list is a result of my research:
It quickly went viral, garnering thousands of shares on Facebook.
Check it out and vote accordingly >